Friday, November 1, 2013

My Inspiration behind Scotlands Happiness Day




Tragically, in October 2007, just a few weeks short of his 13th birthday,  my son Calum lost his life to meningitis.
The impact of Calum’s death shook me to my very core. The grief, depression, panic and anxiety were overwhelming.  I questioned so many of my values trying to make sense of what had happened, but I vowed that I would be happy again, that our family would survive this tragedy. I wanted Calum to be proud of us and to recognise us as the family he knew if he could see us.


It has taken time, energy, the kindness of others and a focus for happiness to go from the darkness of grief to Scotland's Happiness Day.  A journey I have now shared in my book From Heartbreak to Happiness  which is launched in paperback on Scotland's Happiness Day 2 November 2013. 




We had World Happy Day in February 2012. It started me thinking – Scotland should have its own happiness day. So Scotland’s Happiness Day was born on 11th November 2012. 

This is our second year, it’s on Saturday 2nd November and we have gone even bigger. With Smile Awards program to thank the happy and positive people in our lives who help us to smile. A fab conference with excellent speakers, laughter, comedy and music which is a great day out where people can learn about creating more happiness for themselves and then share their happiness with others.
I am encouraging the country to get involved beyond our conference – to take a day to focus on your own happiness and to share it with others. (www.scotlandshappinessday.com)

Find your reason to focus on happiness, small steps work.  






No comments: